From It’s Going Down
Add Your Event: info[at]itsgoingdown[dot]org
People are organizing across the United States and the world in order to stand in the streets in solidarity with those locked behind bars who will strike on September 9th against prison slavery. Already, a wide range of actions have taken place in the run up to the strike. This includes large scale flyering and street propaganda campaigns, banner drops, noise demonstrations outside of jails and detention facilities, and informational events. All of this activity helps to build the capacity of the strike to bring in more people who can take an active role, as well as spread information about the struggle being waged by prisoners on the inside. These actions also bring many organizations, crews, and individuals together that before have previously never worked side by side and helps expose white supremacy as both a system of social control and racial apartheid and an apparatus of management that facilitates the creation of billions of dollars of profits.
In order to better prepare for the strike, here we are going to create a regularly updated page that includes a diary of actions and a list of events and mobilizations leading up to and around the 9th. We know that many events are still in the works, so when you are ready, either submit an event here or email us at: info[at]itsgoingdown[dot]org. In this way, we hope to build a large, multi-faceted, and extremely diverse resistance movement that can support and expand the strike against prison slavery that will continue to take shape on September 9th and beyond.
Diary of Actions (July – September 2016)
- Mid-July: Hunger strike breaks out at Ely State Prison in Nevada. Call-in campaign organized in solidarity.
- Late-July: Hunger strike breaks out at Lucasville Prison. Call-in campaign organized in soliarity.
- Late-July: Hunger strikes at Waupun grow in Wisconsin.
- Early-August: Two rebellions break out in Indiana jails.
- August 2nd: March and rally in support of prison strike in Durham, NC.
- August 2nd: Holman prison errupts in a riot again as a dorm is taken
- August 6th: Pro-strike graffiti found in Downtown Oakland, CA.
- August 7th: Pro-strike graffiti found on Frank Rizzo mural in Philadelphia, PA.
- August 8th: Pro-strike and IWOC graffiti found in rural Indiana.
- August 10th: Noise demonstration organized in support of prison strike in Atlanta.
- August 10th: Noise demonstration organized in Durham, NC in support of prison strike.
- August 10th: Banner drop in Austin, TX in support of strike.
- August 10th: Freeway demonstration organized in Houston, TX.
- August 10th: Pro-strike graffiti found in Denver, CO.
- August 10th: Mass flyering and street team outreach in Kansas City, MO.
- August 11th: Pro-strike graffiti found in Philadelphia, PA.
- August 12th: Call-in campaign organized for Holman prisoners involved in latest riot.
- August 13th: Mobilization in Milwaukee, WI in support of Dying to Live hunger-strike.
- August 13th: Banner drop in solidarity with Waupun hunger-strike in Portland, OR.
- August 14th: Pro-strike graffiti found in Houston, TX.
- August 14th: Phone zap organized in solidarity with Dying to Live hunger-strike in Wisconsin.
- August 17th: Banner drop in New Orleans in solidarity with prison strike.
Events Leading Up to September 9th and Beyond
- August 25th: Info-night and presentation on prison strike at Anarres Infoshop. More info here.
- September 9th: Rally and march on corporations profiting from prison labor and in solidarity with prison strike. More info here.
- September 9th: BBQ to make banners, discuss strike, and watch films. More info here.
- September 10th: Rally and march on corporations profiting from prison labor and in solidarity with prison strike. More info here.
Los Angeles, CA:
- September 9th: Noise demonstration in solidarity with the prison strike. More info here.
- August 18th: Envelope filling and open discussion on prison strike. More info here.
- August 26th-28th: Bend the Bars Conference. Midwestern Convergence in support of prisoner struggles. More info here.
- August 27th: March and demonstration in connection with Bend the Bars Conference. More info here.
- September 10th: Prison strike solidarity speak out and noise demonstration. More info here.
- September 9th: March in Resistance to Prison Slavery. Meet at Durham Central Park, 7:30 pm.
- September 10th: Noise demonstration outside of Coleman Correctional Complex. More info here and social media event here.
- September 4th: Banner making party. More info here.
- September 9th: Noise demonstration. More info here.
- Rally and noise demonstration. More info here.
- August 20th: Prison letter stuffing party. More info here.
- September 9th: Prison strike solidarity and noise demonstration out of jail. More info here.
Have something planned but don’t see your sitting listed? Email us at: info[at]itsgoingdown[dot]org.